InfoPath Publishing error – The following url is not valid

I was involved in a SharePoint 2013 On-Premise Platform setup. After our successful installation we faced an issue as stated below.


We were not able to publish any InfoPath form to  SharePoint site created in the 2013 environment, in spite of the site being accessible from the browser. When we try to publish the form we get the following error “The following url is not valid”. This is a quite common and annoying error message that you get when it comes to InfoPath publishing.


We got a HTTP 404 error when we analyzed the fiddler trace, while the InfoPath form is published to SharePoint.


Options attempted for Fix

After referring so many blogs, I patiently tried the following steps to fix this problem. But nothing worked.

• Checked if it has a root site collection. (Make sure the SharePoint application that contains the site you are publishing to, has a site in the root)

• Stopped the “System Event Notification” service

• Added the verb entry in the http Handler tag (Make sure that the <remove verb=”*” path=”*.asmx”/> is just under <httpHandlers> tag)

• Added a host entry for the URL and restarted the server

• Delete all sub keys of “Server Cache” key, they are in form of _http://xxxxxxx

• This seems to be the problem when your site is on a non-default port, Switched to port 80, still same error.


Upon troubleshooting this issue i found that InfoPath client was not able to find the root (/) site collection and it threw a HTTP 404 error in Fiddler.  We had to add the HTTP verbs (GET, POST, PUT, HEAD, etc.) explicitly in our IIS Server -> request filtering module which solved the particular issue that I was facing

After adding the verbs, verify the new verbs are in config file C:WindowsSystem32inetsrvconfigapplicationHost.config.

Verbs will be under /configuration/system.webServer/security/request Filtering/verbs section.

In a nutshell the PUT request to the site was failing, for which i had to add the verbs.

 Subscribe to my blog

4 thoughts on “InfoPath Publishing error – The following url is not valid

  1. Hi
    I’m struggling to find a solution about this “Invalid URL” issue. I have InfoPath 2013 and SharePoint 2013 SP1. I’ve tried everything described in this post without success. Any other idea ? With Fiddler, I always find an “Unauthorized 401” error but no way to find what’s wrong…

  2. Thank you for writing up this troubleshooting guide!

    We were having a hell of a time trying to get this to work. Our IIS configuration was set to accept all verbs in the Request Filtering area, so we added PUT to the list and explicitly set it to be allowed. That did not work. Then we removed it, and kept the configuration to allow all (unlisted) verbs. That seemed to trigger something in IIS and Infopath Publish started to recognize the sharepoint site as a valid site.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.