This post is the continuation to my previous post tiled SharePoint Multitenancy – Faqs
1. What are multiple ways in which customer sites can be deployed a SharePoint farm enabled with multi-tenancy ?
- Dedicated application pool and Web application
- Shared application pool and dedicated Web application
- Authenticated Sites
- Unauthenticated Sites
- Shared Web application
2. When to choose dedicated web applications for tenants ?
If the customizations required for tenants affect the resources that are shared across a web application, such as a web.config file
3. What will be the recommended strategy when multiple tenants need to be combined in a single web application ?
While combining multiple tenants into one, it is recommended to have one dedicated web application for authenticated content of all the tenants and another dedicated tenant for all unauthenticated content for all the tenants. Finally, it will require two different subscription IDs for tenants for both the types of content. This approach also will make the licensing simpler.
4. What are the factors to be considered while deploying customizations to a multi-tenant environment ?
The following factors need to be considered while deploying customizations to multi-tenant environment :-
- Do not allow full-trust code to be deployed to the sites
- Do not allow the customizations that require changes to the shared resources like web.config file
- Use host named site-collections to create multiple root-level site-collections (domain-named sites) within a web application
5. What is the factor to be considered when the tenant must span 1 database ?
If the tenant needs to span more than 1 database, there must one and only tenant in all those databases (dedicated content databases for a tenant)
6. What is the factor to be considered when the multiple tenant needs to share a database ?
If a tenant needs to share a database with another tenant, those tenants should NOT span databases.
7. How a hosted environment can be scaled out ?
The hosted environment can be scaled out by creating separate set of farms.
a)Services farm – A dedicated services farm can be created for all the services (applicable) that can be shared across farms.
b)Search farm – A dedicated farm can be created to host Search
c)Tenant content farm – Tenant content farms can be scaled out in a similar way as the services farm
8. What is Organizational Units (OU) of Active Directory and how its is relevant in the context of SharePoint hosting?
Organizational units are used to organize users and computer objects in the Active Directory environment. The same Organizational Unit for SharePoint is illustrated below :-
9. What is the role of Domain Root ?
The Security policies that need to be applied to the entire domain is applied in the Domain policy. They are configured in the GPOs that apply to the entire domain.
10. What is the role of Domain Controllers OU ?
It holds the most sensitive data in the organization, the data which controls the security configuration itself. GPOs are applied at this level to protect the domain controller.
11. What is the role of SharePoint Server OU ?
It has unique role not included in other servers in the directory. It can be placed in its own OU to allow unique policies to be applied on the servers. It can also be segregated from other servers in the directory.
12. What is the role of customers OU ?
The Customer OU (top-level OU) allows all users accounts to be segregated from the rest of the directory. The next level OU would be the respective customer’s OU (like Customer A OU or Customer B OU). In order to give the users the impression they are logging into their own customer domain, use ADSI Edit or another Active Directory tool to edit the uPNSuffixes attributes.