This article would cover the necessary steps to configure the SP 2010 Information Worker Demo VPC. The easiest way to have a development environment for personal learning need is to download the SharePoint 2010 Information Worker Demonstration VPC and configure it for your needs, rather then setting up a dev server-farm from scratch.
Though most of the steps to configure this VPC is available in Microsoft’s guidance, I’d try to cover the things which are not there in MSDN guidance and would make it more comprehensive.
1. Download the VM files from Microsoft site and run the application file 2010-7a.part01.rar
2. This would extract all the 20 files into a large VM dump (2010-7a.vhd)
3. On the extracted folder, you’ll find a configuration file
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16" standalone="yes"?> <configuration> <SnapShotDataRoot type="string"></SnapShotDataRoot> <ExternalDataRoot type="string"></ExternalDataRoot> <vhd> <source type="string">E:VMsa-andcar2010-7aVirtual Hard Disks2010-7a.vhd</source> <target type="string"></target> </vhd> <VmStateCopied type="bool">true</VmStateCopied> </configuration>
4. By default the “<Source type-“string”> will have the path of E:VMsa-andcar2010-7aVirtual Hard Disks2010-7a.vhd. You need to change it to the path of your local PC, where the .vhd file is saved. Otherwise, you’ll get an error when you to run this VM in the hyper-v. In my case, I’ve changed the path to D:SP 2010 VM7a2010-7aVirtual Hard Disks2010-7a.vhd.
5. The next step is to define the Network connections in the Hyper-V.
Start Hyper-V Manager from Control Panel -> Administrative Tools
Click Virtual Network Manager…
Choose New virtual network in the Virtual Networks pane
Choose Internal from the type list and click Add
Enter a name of Internal and click OK
6. Start menu -> right-click Network –> Properties
Click Change adapter settings
Locate the adapter corresponding to ‘Internal’,
Right click and choose properties
Double click on IPV4 and set the following IP addresses.
7. The next steps is to define the Internet Connection (External) for the VPC.
On the Virtual Network Manager define an ‘External’ network connection.
Now you’ll see a new network connection called ‘External’ in the Network connections
I’ve set up wireless network connection already on my windows server 2008 hosting SP 2010 VPC. The name of the connection
is Wireless Network Connection.
Right click on wireless network connection –> properties –> Sharing
Check ‘ Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection’.
Under home networking connection chose the network connection name corresponding to External Adapter defined in hyper-v. In my case it is VLAN2.
This will allow the VM to access the internet.
8. Import the Virtual Machine into hyper-v. Otherwise, you can create a brand-new Virtual Machine with the required custom settings using the extracted .vhd file.
9.Start the virtual image
10. Once the machine starts log in as administrator and password is pass@word1
11. The next step is to do re-arming. The re-arming needs to be done after 10 days from the initial usage.
Run “slmgr –rearm” (no quotes) in the command prompt to complete re-arming.
12. Last, but not least, add the following host entries
This completes the configuration for SP 2010 Information Worker demonstration VPC.